Tree Squares, Day 30

Trees are your best antiques.
Alexander Smith
Huon Pine is (very) a slow-growing, but long-lived tree.
Although fallen, this one is in excess of 2,000 years old.

Huon Pine, Lagarostrobus franklinii, only grows in the wet, temperate rainforests of South West Tasmania and, although not a true pine, it is the only member of its family which is only one of the attributes that make it a unique tree.

Their growth rate is extremely slowly, averaging just 1 millimetre in girth per year. They can grow to be 2,500 years old which means some of them started life BC, and add to this the fact that they don’t start to reproduce until they are between 600 to 800 years of age. Wow!

The felling of green Huon Pines stopped in the 1970s. Today, 85% of the remaining Huon Pine forests are conserved in National Parks while the remaining 15% is managed by Forestry Tasmania for salvage.

– ⋅ o ♥ o ⋅ –

This is my next entry in Becky’s July Squares Photo Challenge – Trees.

Author: Clare

Ever expanding one star at a time, my cosmos is a galaxy of thoughts and creativity where you can find poetry, short stories, photography and so much more.

6 thoughts

I'd love to hear your thoughts . . .

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s